[Asterisk-Users] Hung SIP channels

Manuel Wenger manuel.wenger at ticinocom.com
Wed Sep 1 23:38:30 MST 2004

I have recently posted a message regarding hung SIP channels when using the Monitor() command. Well, I was wrong.

The channel hanging wasn't caused by the Monitor command. They also hang when they aren't monitored. The cause seems to be our PSTN gateway provider. When for some reason their PSTN gateway crashes or reboots (OK, this should happen, but anyway...) and RTP/SIP data stops flowing, the SIP channel just sits there on the Asterisk server, and will never hang up, until you "soft hangup" it.

When issuing "show channel SIP/xxx" on a hung channel, you see the "elapsed seconds" counter incrementing, but the "frames in" and "frames out" counters don't increment anymore. When you "soft hangup" the channel, the macro it was running in succesfully continues to the hangup extension and everything is cleaned up properly.

Is there a way to tell Asterisk to hang up stuck channels automatically, ie. when no frames are received for more than, say, 30 seconds?

We're using CVS-HEAD-08/24/04

Thanks
-Manuel