[Asterisk-Users] Faxing with an IAXy

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Wed Sep 1 15:49:18 MST 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:57:34PM +0100, Ben Merrills wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Has anyone got faxing working via an IAXy? I'm having trouble getting it
> working with a fax machine here. The IAXy works fine, I can make
> incoming/outgoing calls via it, however our PDQ takes a few redials to
> get data over to the dialled party, and faxing doesn't seem to work at
> all.
>

> I have turned off all the echo cancellation stuff, just in case that was
> an issue. Anything I should try, has anyone had any luck doing this
> either here in the UK or elsewhere?

I spent many, many days attempting the same thing. I could get 5-6 pages sent relatively reliably but slowly. Then about the 7th page it would start retrying pages and retrain slower and slower until it crapped out between the 8th and 17th page. This would average > 90sec per page. When I took the IAXy and * out of the loop it would take approximately 10-15 seconds per page. This is with a 100mb network and the * box and IAXy plugged into the same switch. The Zap interface had all echo cancellation turned off etc. etc. I tried all sorts fo different configurations that left the only common denominator being the IAXy.

 From what I have read, it is an issue with timing. That perhaps since the IAXy does not have a similiar timer to the * box there is enough drift that a  few packets get lost when crossing a timing boundary. I don't completely understand the fax methodology but I do know that it is very timing dependant and does not work properly with the IAXy. This is with firmware 17 and 18. Maybe a later firmware can resolve it, who knows.

Cheers
Scott Petersen