[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic dialplan

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Wed Sep 1 13:52:33 MST 2004

On 06:25 AM 9/1/2004, Juan Jose Comellas wrote:
 >We intend to use Asterisk with a very large dialplan (with a lot of
 >functionality for 3000+ users). Each user will be able to change several of
 >his parameters in the dialplan, so we will be forced to reload the diaplan
 >constantly. Has anybody else any previous experience with a similar
 >installation? There are some things that we'd like to know, if anybody can
 >help us. These are:
 >
 >- Is this something that can be done safely with Asterisk?

Yes, see the wiki on scaling issues and hardware requirements

 >- Can we have a diaplan configuration update every 5 or 10 minutes without
 >service interruption?

A better idea would be to implement a static dialplan that access a database...

for example...

[inbound-pri]
; this context handles all inbound calls arriving on our PRI
; dnid is 4 digits from the telco

exten => 3748,1,DBGet(user-chan=inbound/${EXTEN})
exten => 3748,2,Dial(${user-chan})

just a very simple example of the concept

 >- What happens to new calls while the dialplan configuration is being
 >reloaded?

Guess this depends upon where in the process of loading a huge extensions
configuration is when the call comes in...

 >- What happens to active calls after the dialplan configuration is updated?

Active channels will remain active.   In other words a call between to
channels will remain in place during a reload.

 >- Can we do partial updates of the dialplan (e.g. update a specific context
 >instead of the whole dialplan configuration)?

I believe the only way to force a dialplan reload is through the CLI
command: extensions reload, which forces extensions.conf to be loaded in full

 >- Can Asterisk have its dialplan in a database instead of having it
always in
 >memory?

Yep, see above comment for just one of the methods to do this, there are
quite a few.