[Asterisk-Users] T100P Configuration for Mixed Voice & Data

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Wed Sep 1 11:08:28 MST 2004

> I need to know how to setup the data side of the T1 on my Linux Box. I
> have found information about configuring a PRI and HDLC but nothing
> about the Frame-Relay type setup for data.

Ok, firstly HDLC is just a Layer 2 protocol like IP, so no matter what
encapsulation they use it's still HDLC.

> The following is information from our T1 provider.
> Network T1:
> Framing = ESF
> Line code = B8ZS
> Build out = 0-133ft(DSX)/0dB(CSU)
> Clock = network
> Pulse-density-enforce = off
> alarm-option = on
> alarm-delay = 15
> is-slave = off
>
> DS0 Provisioning:
> analog-begin = 1
> analog-end = 16
> data-begin = 17
> data-end = 24
> alignment = same

-zaptel.conf-

span=0,0,0,esf,b8zs           ; Set up a span number 0 with the provider as
the timing source, an LBO of 0-133ft with esf framing and b8zs coding.
fxsks=1-16                        ; basically if you're not on a PRI then
you're on a channel bank... You need to know what kind of signalling your
provider uses,
                                          ;  is it LoopStart, GroundStart,
E&M or KewlStart...
nethdlc=17-24                    ; Combine channels 17-24 into data for the
Linux HDLC layer...

-zapata.conf-

signalling=fxs_ks
context=yourcontext
channel => 1-16

>From here on out, it's not an * issue, it's a Linux HDLC Layer issue which
is beyond the scope of this list... You have enough information to get it
working though, from your Vina you can see that your DLCI is 100, you'll
need the gateway address of the router on the other end and DNS information.
Also whether or not they're using PPP encapsulation, all of this is
configured with the sethdlc program and also /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/sysconfig/network and the "ifup" scripts if you're using RedHat.

That should work... I might have the FXO/FXS thing reversed I'm always doing
that, but if it doesn't work, reverse them and it should... Like I mentioned
in my comment you need to see what kind of signalling your provider is
using, is it GroundStart, LoopStart, E&M/E&M Wink or KewlStart...

I haven't done this but I am thinking about switching to a setup much like
this so if you have success/failure let me know!

    -Chris