[Asterisk-Users] UDP Fragmentation Problem

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sun Oct 31 21:14:28 MST 2004

Bastian Schern wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got no success to get a friend in Bogota (Colombia) connected to my
> Asterisk. He has got a ISDN Internet connection and the UDP packets will
> be fragmented. It seems that the MTU of this connection is round about
> 400 to 500 Bytes. Therefore most UDP-SIP packages are fragmented.
> Is Asterisk not able to handle fragmented UDP packages?
> Is it possible to use SIP over TCP with X-Lite?
> Or has somebody another hint for me?

Fragmentation should not matter for the end-point (the source or
destination of the UDP datagram), since the IP stack itself should take
care of the reassembly..
But....it is quite weird they have such a small MTU. Many websites that
have problems with Path MTU discovery would be broken by that (dumb
websites, but still, way too many...).