[Asterisk-Users] ISDN EDSS1 protocol support

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Sun Oct 31 03:19:45 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 13:41, Maxim Litnitsky wrote:
> Hi all, I have to implement the following:
>
> --------------
>               |   ---- 10 voice channels   -------------------->
> |-------------------------------|
> Prov  E1 |   ----  256 kbit/s for VoIP -------------------->  |
> Asterisk IP-PBX      |
>               |   ----  256 kbit/s for Data (http,mail) ----->
> |-------------------------------|
> --------------
>
> Provider gives E1 and on this E1 I will have 10 timeslots for voice,
> and others for internet.
> What hardware shall I use? Provider supports EDSS1 ISDN protocol, as
> I undertood Digium hardware does not support this protcol. I searched
> google and lists.digium.com and found only
> this:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-October/msg03224.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg30870.html
>
> The question: Can I implement all with Asterisk using EDSS1 protcol
> and how?  Give me please a clue!!

You didn't define your question good enough.

Digium hardware does support EDSS1 (EuroISDN) without problems. However,
you didn't say, how your provider let you connect to the internet.

You have 30 channels on your E1 (30 timeslots / 64 kbit), not counting
the d-channel, which is a total of 2 mbit.

Implenting the 10 voice channels is a std. setup, but your provider
still needs to tell you, how you access the internet/data part. EDSS1 is
only a ISDN signalling protocol, you would probably have to run
something like PPP over the lasting 20 channels (or how many your
provider has assigned there) to get connectivity. Get better
specifications from your provider !!!

If your provider indeed is using PPP, then you should have a look at
ZapRAS in Asterisk (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+ZapRAS)

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen