[Asterisk-Users] Wireless phones connected to VOIP DECT basestation

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Sat Oct 30 21:32:13 MST 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, dean collins wrote:

> No those cards are used to connect wirelessly to a base station.
>
> Basically like an 802.11x card connects to a base station.
>
> What Remco means is that he wants someone to release software that would
> sit on your pc. All a PCI card to connect to base stations and perform
> those functions.
>
> Remco, look into the Kirk h323 solution, this does what you need.

Thanks for the excellent explanation on DECT!

I will probably order the base station, it seems like an almost ideal
solution to connect phones to a voip pabx. I would not prefer a pci card
solution personally, anything connected to the network doesn't cause irq
headaches :)

I'll probably buy the Tiptel version of the Kirk because it's available
locally (unless the price difference is huge), but they have two models
supporting different protocols.

Which protocol would be better h323 or SCCP to connect to *?

There are some features described on the website specific to SCCP model:
     * Caller hold (only with Cisco Call Manager Express)
     * Support for Cisco Call Manager versie 3.3 (3)
     * Support for Cisco SRST (Survivable Remote Site Telefony) 3.0
     * Support for Cisco Call Manager Express versie 3.0

Not sure whether I would really need it and I don't understand the part
about caller on hold feature. Surely they can't be serious that you cannot
put a caller on hold and transfer the call on the h323 version? I'll put
that question to them on monday.

Thanks!!