[Asterisk-Users] iax registration & port number

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sat Oct 30 07:30:38 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>>I'm trying to config a temp iax connection between two current * boxes.
>>>One is behind a firewall, the other uses a registered IP.
>>>
>>>I config'ed the * box behind the firewall to 'register' with the one that
>>>has a registered IP. The registration is occuring and the CLI indicates:
>>> -- Registered 'xxx2yyy' (AUTHENTICATED) at 1.2.3.193:50192
>>> -- Registered 'xxx2yyy' (AUTHENTICATED) at 1.2.3.193:50262
>>>
>>>However, I'm confused about the :50192 and :50262 port numbers shown
>>>above. I was expecting to see udp 4569 instead.
>>>
>>>I was hoping to use the registration process to avoid having to write
>>>a firewall rule allowing udp 4569 inbound. Am I off base or just missing
>>>something simple here? How do I force registration to use udp 4569 for
>>>both source and destination ports instead of the changing port numbers?
>>
>>The NAT router is translating the SOURECE port, which is perfectly fine.
>

> Okay, I can buy that. But when I route an iax call from the registered IP
> * to the one hiding behind the firewall, the firewall gives an immediate
> icmp port unreachable as the call setup uses 4569/4569 ports (not the
> register ports). Maybe my Dial(IAX... is messed up then?

Are you using Dial(IAX2/user at iaxconfentry) or Dial(IAX2/iaxconfentry)

If you are dialing by IP then Asterisk doesn't know anything about the
existing connection and won't know the correct port information.  If you
ARE dialing by iax.conf entry I don't know what it will do, but if you
are dialing by IP adddress than I KNOW it won't work without port
forwarding on the NAT router.