[Asterisk-Users] high-capacity systems / trouble with Tyan

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Fri Oct 29 20:49:25 MST 2004

On 06:05 PM 10/29/2004, Jim Gottlieb wrote:
 >> I have had X100P, TDM4XX, and TE4 cards in it with no issue.
 >
 >Have you had multiple cards in it at the same time?

Only in the X100P format, and only 2 of them

 >> I never even tried the 2.4 kernels in the
 >> system, I built the 2.6 kernel before installing asterisk.
 >
 >We've been sticking with the 2.4 kernel in Fedora Core 1.  I installed
 >FC2 with its 2.6 kernel and couldn't even get asterisk to compile.

The culprit is the RedHat kernel.  I don't know what redhat does with their
kernel or sources.  But If you build your own kernel from non-redhat
source, asterisk will compile perfectly.  I recently had that problem with
a client's system.  They wanted to run FC, we tried compiling asterisk with
the FC kernel to no avail.  I went to kernel.org, grabbed 2.6.6 source
compiled it, and everything worked perfectly.

 >I realize that Redhat isn't the only Linux.  I've only been using it
 >because it's what we've always used and it's what I'm most familiar
 >with (though my girlfriend prefers SUSE).

The only thing wrong with RedHat as far as asterisk is concerned is that
they do something goofy with their kernels and all you need do is recompile
a kernel from source.  IMHO, you should always compile a kernel for your
specific hardware.

-Chris