[Asterisk-Users] * and Verisign SIP-7 service

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Oct 29 20:15:28 MST 2004

Francois Menard (Mailing List Account) wrote:

> Can you expand ... I'm hoping to use Asterisk to do SIP to MGCP
> mediation ... what does it not work?

I don't know the particulars, because I've never used (or even looked at
MGCP). All I know is that whenever the issue comes up, people here say
that Asterisk does not know how to act as an MGCP Gatekeeper, only as an
agent. I presume it would have to act as a gatekeeper to control an
MGCP-based media gateway, because those devices are all intended to be
controlled by some sort of softswitch.