[Asterisk-Users] high-capacity systems / trouble with Tyan

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Fri Oct 29 17:02:04 MST 2004

On 03:47 PM 10/29/2004, Jim Gottlieb wrote:
 >We wanted to try the new AMD MP 2800 chips on the newer Tyan S2466
 >motherboard, but the systems hang or panic (with DMA errors) after
 >starting the zaptel drivers.  We tried putting the older slower CPUs on
 >the new motherboard and had the same trouble.

I currently have a development system I use when developing configurations
for my clients.  It's a Tyan 2466 motherboard with the latest bios
revision, running with two AMD 3000 MP processors.  RedHat 9 is the system,
but I have a non-redhat 2.6.6 kernel.  I have had many versions of asterisk
running on it with no issues whatsoever.  I have had X100P, TDM4XX, and TE4
cards in it with no issue.  I never even tried the 2.4 kernels in the
system, I built the 2.6 kernel before installing asterisk.

You may want to migrate away from the redhat kernel, and build your own
kernel whether you build a 2.4 or a 2.6 is up to you, but from what I
understand the 2.6 kernel is more efficient in SMP form.

Chris