[Asterisk-Users] Nothing but static on new install with TDM11B

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Fri Oct 29 07:37:13 MST 2004

While I have successfully compiled all the packages, I haven't been able to
get asterisk to provide a dialtone for a phone attached to the TDM11B - I
get static (at least I've got it to produce some noise).  I'm running on a Red Hat 8 box.

I've been following the instructions at:
http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/content/docbook/current_v1/docs-html_one/vm1.html

Going through those instructions I've gotten past the following:

modprobe wcfxs           - produces the correct results
/sbin/ztcfg -vv          - also works correctly

and made what I thought were basic entries in the .conf files.

/usr/sbin/asterisk -cvvv    - doesn't crash

But at this point the plugged in analog phone gets nothing but harsh static.

It seems to me that starting with a relatively clean Linux box and installing
the TDM11B with a clean version of Asterisk is likely a common thing to do.  A
logical first installation milestone is to plug an analog phone into the card, but
not plug the other side into a POTS line, start Asterisk and get a dial tone on
the phone, even if you can only call the demo account on the server.  Since the placement
of the modules on the TDM11B is also standard (at first from the factory), that the
starting config files and startup procedure for this setup should be very generic.

I'm (and I would assume lots of first time users) looking for a quick start guide
that can at least get me that far so I can start learning from there from a (minimally)
working platform, just enough to know the hardware is working, but I can't seem to
find anywhere that provides a set of config files that doesn't need major hacking
before it can be tried.

Are you aware of any step by step guide which provides a known working set of
config files for this basic configuration?  If not, I'd consider starting it
on the Wiki if that would be OK.  I think it would benefit the community
the most if this ended up as a very guided beginners HOWTO wiki page and am willing to
  make sure the wiki ends up with a working set of instructions for that specific
but hopefully common configuration.

Thanks
Steve