[Asterisk-Users] - ACAN - the Asterisk Comprehensive ArchiveNetwork (was RE: GPL thoughts)

Thu Oct 28 22:56:23 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 14:10, Glenn Powers wrote:
> Why not just use voip-info.org for this? It already seems to be the site
> for all things asterisk. Is there a problem with many people
> contributing dialplans, chunchs of dialplans, or AGI scripts to it?
> "Forking" is just as bad on the doc site as it is on the code side.

As I mentioned earlier (last night perhaps), I think there is space for
three clearly defined sources for Asterisk Users/Developers.

1) The wiki is the perfect place for asterisk documentation
2) The bugs.digium.com is the perfect place for bug reports,
tracking/closing them, and their associated patches.
3) There is nowhere currently to store/find asterisk related bits.

Sure, the wiki is good at pointing to other websites for things like
asterisk gui clients, the spandsp fax, etc etc...

I just feel (and have found through personal/group experience) that
number 3 is frequently missing from a project, and can make a very real
difference in having a large library of tools to pick from, or not.

Imagine we had an archive of 100 agi scripts, written in various
languages, to do things like:
* Pay account by credit card
* Change my call forwarding
* Login to a phone based time-monitoring system
* Log a fault/problem report (eg, tech support type system)
* Product ordering system
* Order status

there are many applications that people have already written agi scripts
for, a lot of them we don't even know they exist because they were
written, and worked, and the author moved on. With an active archive,
people are more likely to contribute their script.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts, I'm going to start grabbing scripts
and things as I see them, and upload them anyway. If people use them,
then great, if they don't, then that is ok as well.

Regards,
Adam