[Asterisk-Users] Re: call progress - what are the sticking points?

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Thu Oct 28 08:23:07 MST 2004

Joe Greco wrote:

> Answering machines get by on several mechanisms.  The ones that come to
> mind are:
>
> 1) Silence detection.
>
> 2) Session time limit.
>
> Both of these are effective at doing something vaguely right within the
> requirements of an answering machine.  If you've never heard an answering
> machine that's recorded a minute's worth of dialtone followed by the loud
> "the phone is off the hook" tone, then I'm shocked.  :-)

I never did. I also never owned an answering machine :-)

> Just because you can engineer around a problem doesn't make the solution
> right.

Agreed and I was not thinking about this as a solution, but rather as a
better kludge then my current method of using session time limit which
is good enough for voice mail but is not good enough with conference bridge.

Cheers,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad at codefidence.com>
Codefidence. A name you can trust(tm)
Web: http://codefidence.com  | SIP: gilad at pbx.codefidence.com
Tel: +972.9.8650475 ext. 201 | Fax:  +972.9.8850643

"I am Jack's Overwritten Stack Pointer"
	-- Hackers Club, the movie