[Asterisk-Users] Re: call progress - what are the sticking points?

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Thu Oct 28 07:41:06 MST 2004

Joe Greco wrote:

> More difficult is the problem of knowing when the remote end has gone
> away.  Reversal, loop break, dial tone, and just plain silence are not
> all that unusual as methods of detection.  In some cases, you do actually
> need to infer that the remote has gone away.

I understand that the phone company (sometime) doesn't provide
information about remote hangup on POTS lines. What bugs me is the
simple question - how does your average 10$ answering machine detects
the hang up?

I'm guessing the obvious - DSP and some heuristics as to what a "hangup"
sounds like and it sounds to me that it isn't all that hard to do in
Asterisk (since it's done in those cheap machines) but I would be very
glad to hear some tips from someone that knows a little better then me.

Thanks,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad at codefidence.com>
Codefidence. A name you can trust(tm)
Web: http://codefidence.com  | SIP: gilad at pbx.codefidence.com
Tel: +972.9.8650475 ext. 201 | Fax:  +972.9.8850643

"I am Jack's Overwritten Stack Pointer"
	-- Hackers Club, the movie