[Asterisk-Users] Digium TheVoice recordings' sound terrible

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Oct 27 22:40:22 MST 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Joe Greco wrote:

> > I know she works at Digium but they probably go down the street to a real
> > sound stage to do the recordings via 3rd party.
> >
> > A sound stage is a facility used to create and process professional
> > recordings.  They can be used by anyone employed by an company.
>
> http://www.theivrvoice.com/
>
> would seem to imply otherwise.  I'd be a bit surprised if any company had
> enough work to keep her employed full-time, so the "works at Digium" line
> sounds a bit fishy to me.

Not that it matters, but I met Allison at Astricon and talked with her
about her recording setup. All she does is voice over work. That is it.
That is her job. All day long.

Now, that being said, I have a background in Audio production. Allison has
a professional quality condensor mic that cost roughly $1,500 (US
Dollars). She ties that into a variety of PC based audio recording and
mixdown tools and goes through a fairly detailed mix-down process for all
recordings. I'm pretty sure she has external A/D converters as
well. (Analog to Digital) I.E. not your average $2 sound card!.

Allison has done quite a bit of Voice work for myself and the projects
that I've worked on, and her product has always been top quality. I have
never received Audio files, either directly from her, or via
TheVoice.Digium.Com that are overmodulated or clipped.

I have loaded her stuff into various programs (SoundForge, Pro-Tools) and
I notice that her earlier clips (I.E. the * prompts) are not quite as
"hot" as the newer stuff she has done. By "hot" I mean that the "volume"
of the clip is a db or so lower. A quality sound engineer will maximize
the volume without clipping ("normalize") to provide the highest quality
signal with the least noise. Hence, the newer stuff that I've looked at
has a lower Signal to Noise ratio (good) and a higher overall volume (also
good).

You can very easily normalize all of your GSM files by following the
directions on http://voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+sound+files

BTW: I'm also pretty sure that Allison is contracted by Digium, and not
neccessarily employed. She's Canadian...

                             KP-216-121-ST