[Asterisk-Users] Funny thing with LinkSys / IAX2

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Oct 27 13:34:48 MST 2004

Andrew Edmond wrote:

> *Community,
>
> I am a new VoicePulse customer, using their EXCELLENT
> connect.voicepulse.com services.
>
> I have asterisk CVS head 10/20/04 running quite successfully, with 10
> SIP phones, voicemail, and 2 zaptel lines.  The box is running Gentoo
> Linux, and is running on an Internet connection which is a ComCast
> cable modem, with a LinkSys BEFSR41 router running the LAN.
>
> I have IAX2 configured in IAX.conf registering my IAX2 line with their
> gateway.  My toll outgoing calls are routed through their IAX2 gateway
> (my local calls go out through my Zap lines).
>
> However, I'm constantly having to "restart now" on the CLI (about
> every ten-thirty minutes) to keep my connection to VoicePulse online
> (incoming AND outgoing calls).  I have port forwarding on for ports
> 5060 and 4569 to my asterisk box.

I don't know if you need qualify, if you're already doing register.  But
you should probably set your registration interval to be pretty low,
because linksys routers time out NAT tables very quickly.

I know that they time out valid, but idle TCP connections after about 15
minutes or so.

(I'd set the registration interval to just a few minutes).

-SteveK