[Asterisk-Users] Funny thing with LinkSys / IAX2

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Wed Oct 27 12:57:16 MST 2004

Andrew Edmond wrote:
> *Community,
>
> I am a new VoicePulse customer, using their EXCELLENT
> connect.voicepulse.com services.
>
> I have asterisk CVS head 10/20/04 running quite successfully, with 10
> SIP phones, voicemail, and 2 zaptel lines.  The box is running Gentoo
> Linux, and is running on an Internet connection which is a ComCast cable
> modem, with a LinkSys BEFSR41 router running the LAN.
>
> I have IAX2 configured in IAX.conf registering my IAX2 line with their
> gateway.  My toll outgoing calls are routed through their IAX2 gateway
> (my local calls go out through my Zap lines).
>
> However, I'm constantly having to "restart now" on the CLI (about every
> ten-thirty minutes) to keep my connection to VoicePulse online (incoming
> AND outgoing calls).  I have port forwarding on for ports 5060 and 4569
> to my asterisk box.
>
> After talking with user VoicePulse in #asterisk, we think that it has to
> be something with the router or Internet connection we have.  Something
> about routing or NAT tables being unreliable in LinkSys routers.
>
> Anybody have any IAX2 weirdness with ComCast or LinkSys routers or a
> combination of the two?
>
> Help!  Thanks!

More likely than their being something broken, the router could just be
timing out the connections for non-use.

Take a look at the qualify directive. The link below is for SIP, but the
  meanings should pass over to IAX the same.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+sip+qualify

Also see if just an iax2 reload (or whatever) is sufficient, or if you
must actually restart all of asterisk. (This could help narrow down the
issue.)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/