[Asterisk-Users] - ACAN - the Asterisk Comprehensive Archive Network (was RE: GPL thoughts)

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Oct 27 11:23:43 MST 2004

Adam Goryachev wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 13:37, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>

>>People will want to pay for your expertise because you wrote (or at
>>least contributed to) the base platform, or language, or what-have-you.
>>The more one contributes, the more their credibility is established --
>>their services gain value. This holds true not only for individuals, but
>>for companies as well.
>>
>>Rather than people trying to lock their "brilliance" away so only they
>>can use it, I'd rather like to envision something such as the Perl folks
>>have; ACAN, the Asterisk Comprehensive Archive Network (we need a better
>>acronym, but I digress).
>>
>>Folks would contribute all kinds of interesting dialplan functions,
>>which can tyhen be downloaded (and improved!) by the community. Some of
>>them are junk; the crucible that is open-source will either weed them
>>out, or fix them. The best in class will rise to the top, and become the
>>standard way of solving a particular challenge. There will always be
>>choice.
>>

>I did try to setup something along those lines. A couple of times I
>tried to encourage people to use the repository I setup, AFAIK, it has
>never been used, not that I've really worried/worked on it since it was
>never used...
>
>See http://www.websitemanagers.com.au/asterisk/

I think that it's hard to reach a critical mass on a project like this.
The way I see it, there's 4 places people will probably look for
asterisk add-ons right now:

[in no particular order]:

1) asterisk.org
2) The wiki
3) bugs.digium.com
4) google.

The part that is important in your "ACAN" idea is "comprehensive", and
right now, the most comprehensive place is probably the union of the
wiki and bugs.digium.com.

The structure of your site is nice -- just like freshmeat.  Is there a
real advantage in using this site, as opposed to freshmeat, with
appropriate "trove" categories?