[Asterisk-Users] polycom IP 500/600

Wed Oct 27 00:14:48 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 16:31, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > The default user name and password is a huge issue in some cases. For
> > example, hackers can get into the server, grab the configuration, program
> > their own phone and make free calls. Another example, if you have multiple
> > domains, then you want different username/passwd for each domain.
> >

> I can understand this, although I would like to think that good network
> design could prevent you from opening up your ftp (unencrypted!) server
> to the internet at large (using a firewall, etc.).

Well, since the phones don't support scp or sftp, then I don't suppose
those options are available.

> This is why the Cisco and Polycom's use CDP for VLAN configuration - you
> can set the VLAN BEFORE the DHCP request is made - to make sure that you
> get to the proper network (and DHCP server) in the first place.

But of course, the phones may not all be on your lan! They could be
anywhere on the internet. This is the whole point of VoIP.

> The only way that I see your problem working is if Polycom adds the
> option to set username and password via custom DHCP options to the
> firmware.  That way you would have the username and password BEFORE you
> needed to login to the FTP server.  Maybe an idea for them?

Precisely, I think this is what the original poster wanted to know. How
to set the ftp user/pass from DHCP.

PS, of course, if the phone is elsewhere, then you also can't set the
ftp user/pass via DHCP, since it isn't your DHCP server. Also, wherever
I mentioned setting FTP user/pass via DHCP, you should add setting the
FTP server name via DHCP as well. This means you can look at the box of
a polycom phone (since the MAC address is on the outside of the box),
configure the phone extensions/registrations/etc, hand the box to the
user and tell them to go back to their desk and plug it in. Currently,
you need to unpack the phone, configure the FTP servername, user,
passwd, re-pack the box, and then tell the user to go plug it in etc...

Regards,
Adam