[Asterisk-Users] - ACAN - the Asterisk Comprehensive ArchiveNetwork (was RE: GPL thoughts)

Tue Oct 26 23:00:04 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 15:27, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
> asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> > See http://www.websitemanagers.com.au/asterisk/
> > I have run/maintained www.deadcat.net for a long time (6 or
> > more years I
> > think) which is basically the same sort of thing for Big
> > Brother (cross platform monitoring/alarming system). Many,
> > many people who have asked the usual questions "Which is
> > better BB or xyz?", are always told that the library of
> > add-ons/patches/etc available on the deadcat website make it
> > the better choice by far.
> So what were the keys to its success?

Exactly what you said. Way back when, it was actually just an anonymous
FTP site, and a snagged the various patches/etc as they flew past on the
mailing list and uploaded them. Eventually I wrote a bit of a web
interface, which worked well for a number of years. Finally, I paid
someone to re-write it and add all the neat features that exist now.

> > Finally, just because you haven't authored something, doesn't
> > stop you from uploading it to the website (as long as you
> > have the right to re-distribute the work, which the GPL allows).
>
> Good advice.

I suppose the real issue is that back then I worked for someone else,
and at the end of the day when I went home, I still had plenty of hours
til some odd hour of the morning (2am or so) to play with these things.
These days I run my own business, have a couple of children, etc, these
other things often take up all that slack time I used to have to play...

I wouldn't mind allowing one of my staff to work on this, but no-one
else has any knowledge of asterisk, so it wouldn't really be helpful.

So, please, any volunteer that would like to help out, please do. I'll
try and make an effort to add to things as well. (there, I promise I'll
do *something* at least).

PS, for the BB list, it sends out a daily email to let people know what
the new/updated files are.

Regards,
Adam