[Asterisk-Users] Re: Benjk's Question "Why FXS"

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 26 15:48:29 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 16:15, Reid A. Forrest wrote:

> I may be wrong, but from what I've seen so far, an FXS port will run you
> about $100/port anyway, plus the cost of the analog device. At this price, I
> can't see any reason not to dump the analog and go with a cheap VOIP device.
> Even the lowest end (i.e. Grandstream) will give you more functionality than
> most analog phones at the same price. Now if you have a source for cheap or
> free channel banks, that's another story.

The cheapest VoIP phone won't get you PoE.  I expect my phones to be
powered when the AC power is out.

The only way to do that is with PoE or FXS and channel banks, and good
UPS in your closet.  Putting a UPS on each user's Grandstream just is
not effective.

Anyone that does not include power calculations in the VoIP projects is
not doing their homework.

I would love to see a good cheap phone with 802.3af, but they have yet
to come out.  We have been looking at the Zip 4x4, as it's about the
best of the lot.  We tried to look at the UIP200, but it was not even
readily available.

I could go for a $100 granstream with PoE VS a $65 Grandstream without
it.

			Harry