[Asterisk-Users] G.726

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Oct 26 15:25:41 MST 2004

Brian McSpadden [mcspadden at gmail.com] wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:50:55 -0400, Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT)<seshu.kanuri at morganstanley.com> wrote:
> He's just playing like he doesn't know what we're talking about. He
> knows good and well that there's no free open g.729 implementation. It
> is open source only in the fact that you can indeed look at the source
> code, but it is definitely not free to use, and that's what he means.

That's not what I mean at all.  The Intel library would be free to
use in any free country (the USA is not a free country), as long as
you have an appropriate license from Intel, but that's not the point.

The referenced codec is not open source, as the Intel library is not
available in source form.  One cannot inspect the G.729 code and make
modifications etc.  The patch file is the only part that's GPLed.

Given that this is the case, I thought that someone else must have
released an "open source G.729 codec".

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz