[Asterisk-Users] De-Centralized / Distributed Conferencing App

Richard Lyman pchammer at dynx.net
Tue Oct 26 13:15:21 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On October 26, 2004 03:59 pm, Darren Sessions wrote:
>
>>Here is my problem. I've got 300+ people that want to be on a single
>>conference call. Not sure if a single Asterisk server could survive it.
>>I was thinking of putting trunks in between the servers - but quickly
>>realized I'm just giving the audio an extra HOP to traverse - and there
>>is still one box that's going to get slammed.
>

> Does anyone have any numbers on how many people were listening in on Astricon?
> I know a lot of people were watching me cuss on IRC on the bigscreen before I
> realized I was on there but I thought there were hundreds of people listening
> to the conference.
>
> -A.
the issue i think is being discussed is when all participants can
talk.  if you were simply retransmitting client side muted then
you could fit alot of listeners amoung one or more servers to
handle the client load.  (meaning have the servers be the
conference member (1 channel) on the main server the input hits.
    basically .. 'streaming/multicasting'

i'd hate to be in a conference call where 300 people could speak,
that would drive me nuts.