[Asterisk-Users] GPL thoughts

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Oct 26 13:10:50 MST 2004

Jim Van Meggelen [jim at digitalchemy.ca] wrote:
> In theory it's simple: Find a customer, solve their problem, send them a
> bill. (and if you've created something really cool, share it with the
> community so we can all benefit)
>
> It's a good system.

It is a good system, yes.  Cursor Software uses it as standard policy.

Customers pay for some work and get the results.  If the work is
considered to be generally useful, it will be submitted back to the
community under the terms of the GPL.  Monopolistic customers can
buy the copyright and close the source, but that would probably cost
a lot.  We've never been asked for the copyright, as far as I know.

Free software project such as Interchange have been almost entirely
built using customer-paid work.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz