[Asterisk-Users] Need HELP to put * in use for good cause

Achilleus Papadopoulos achilleusp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 12:16:52 MST 2004

When I wrote my first post I meant MS pricing, to be
honest ;-)
You are right, I didn't know about MS special pricing
for NPOs.
Nevertheless, the persistent problem with MS is that
we are running 3-4 different versions of Windows (98SE
trough XP) and 3 different versions of Outlook. Also,
on the hardware side, we have PCs at 500MHz w/ 128MB
RAM up to 1.7GHz w/ 512MB RAM. This HW-SW diversity is
a huge pain in the arse to handle, especially if your
duties are to do network admin, email admin, helpdesk,
and trainer all at once! Hey guys, I am not an
octopus, and I’m F!@#$G tired of running after Windoze
crashes, viruses, users toying with Control Panel
settings and messing up, and other $h!t like that! I
think that migrating our operating environment to
Linux could streamline and leverage our HW/SW
diversity and compensate for otherwise obsolete HW if
we were going to streamline a Windows environment for
all users. This amounts to that when people donate a
newer PC we wouldn’t trash an older WIN98 box as to
have more, let’s say, WIN2K boxes so we can streamline
our operating environment. We would rather derive a
least common denominator of Linux for all PCs and thus
instead of retiring systems we would be adding more
PCs = more users. Moreover, being the fascist bastard
that I am (oh yes, the Stallmanesque way), I have
decided that we are going to support OSS trough its
use because it is just as good a cause as helping
troubled youth find their way to a better life… Thanks
to everyone that has posted so far I will greatly
appreciate your further input.