[Asterisk-Users] GPL thoughts

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Oct 26 08:09:28 MST 2004

> > What is with that thought?
>
> Technically you could probably make something like that work, but I
> would think you'd scare away a lot of customers with such a scheme. If
> they want to get locked into a
> "you-don't-really-own-your-software-we-do" kind of licensing model, why
> wouldn't they just go to one of the big-name manufacturers?

Just a minor point, even under the GPL, they don't own the software.  They
merely have a license granting terms under which it may be used.  The only
way to own the software is to go buy the rights from whoever wrote it.

Of course, compared to the average software license agreement from M$ or
whoever, the terms of the GPL are much less restrictive (although there
are even less restrictive tiers of licensing, such as the minimalistic
BSD license, and then public domain, which isn't even a license at all).

... JG