[Asterisk-Users] cisco router & *

james james at jdfogg.com
Tue Oct 26 05:20:41 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 08:02, Jon Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just checking that what I want to do is possible.
> I've got a cisco 3620 in my lab (IP plus ios). I'm thinking of moving my
> current pots lines to isdn BRI at home. What I'm thinking of is putting a
> wic-1b(s/t) into the 3620 and using that to pass incoming calls to * via sip.
> As I understand it this should be doable.
> I suppose my question is will the 3620 pay all caller ID information to * so
> that it can be logged.

"Caller-ID" is a POTS only feature, it isn't part of the ISDN call
setup. What *is* part of the ISDN call setup is the originating and
destination numbers. This info provides "caller-id" like features and is
what gets converted to real "caller-id" on POTS lines.

This is also why caller-id blocks don't work on ISDN lines. You can't
block the call setup data on ISDN. If you always want to know who's
calling no matter what, use ISDN.