[Asterisk-Users] Need HELP to put * in use for good cause

james james at jdfogg.com
Tue Oct 26 05:16:54 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 07:59, Achilleus Papadopoulos wrote:
> Dear all,
> problem: Over time we have amassed a large database of
> contacts that users share with LDAP/Outlook and when
> they perform a contact lookup they can easily call the
> contact trough Outlook with it’s built in dialer as
> every phone is connected to a modem. Moreover, with
> the Journal enabled the users have a record of the
> phone calls made to every contact. How can we
> implement the same or similar TAPI functionality with
> Ximian Evolution, LDAP, SIP phones and Asterisk? I
> searched the wiki and mail lists and could not find a
> definitive way of doing this. Can any one please help
> me with this?

I don't know if you can xfer the database from Outlook, but you can
continue to use the modems for dialing if you use FXS ports on your
asterisk server. There will be some hardware investment for the FXS
ports, but you can keep your "plain" phones and modems and not have to
invest in SIP phones. This also means that a cheeeepo don't-give-a-damn
phone will be in front of volunteers rather than an expensive SIP phone.
When they slam the reciever down in disgust or draw on the phone with
pens it doesn't matter much. Trust me, phones get abused.