[Asterisk-Users] Nortel Phones.

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Mon Oct 25 13:19:01 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:

Currently the Nortel IP phones only support Nortel's proprietary
protocol, UNISTIM. There is currently no way for Asterisk to directly
support these phones unless: a) Nortel releases a standards-complaint
firmware image, or b) somebody is able to write UNISTIM compatibility
into Asterisk.

Nortel claims that these phones are SIP/H.323 compliant, but if you read
the fine print they always mention that a UTPS (Unistim Terminal proxy
Server) is required. In other words, you have to buy another piece of
Nortel gear to get their phones to work in the real world.

Avoid Nortel until they wake up and get standards compliant. If you need
to talk to a Nortel PBX, use PRI.