[Asterisk-Users] Digium Wildcard T1 Compatibility (ethernet f or T1 cables)

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Mon Oct 25 06:36:16 MST 2004

<snip>

>RJ48C is *not* standard ethernet cable. The twisted pairs are grouped
differently. Ethernet cables work OK for T1s if they are only 2 or 3
metres long. Long ethernet cables give high error rates when used for T1s.

Regards,
Steve

<snip>

I have run several robbed-bit(non-PRI) T1s on standard CAT5e ethernet cable
for runs of over 100 feet(30 meters) and have seen no increase in the error
rate of the T1s. I've done this for years, and even the telco install techs
say it really doesn't matter especially if you are running robbed-bit,
supposedly its more forgiving than PRIs are.

MATT---