[Asterisk-Users] G.729 . . . I SMELL SMOKE!

Mike Boger Jr mboger1 at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Oct 24 18:53:53 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Critchfield" <critch at basesys.com>
> You seem to not realize that those who are knowlegable are only so due
> to the vast amount of time we put into learning. I'm sure there are many
> people who are like me and are trying to spend a lot of time learning
> several projects that have no overlap. While we seek all this knowlege,
> I hope the others like me actually try and do things outside of the
> computer world as well.

I agree with you. I also spend signifigant time in learning things about
Asterisk and other projects.

> Now I want you to realize that many of the really newbie or lazy (these
> are NOT equal in the level I detest) questions that are answerable with
> a quick browse of the wiki or a simple google search end up being
> equivalent to SPAM in my mailbox as I try and search for information
> that furthers my knowlege. Understand that I learn from looking at what
> others are doing, and answers to others questions.

SPAM is in a way not just uneccesary solicitation but debate as well. The
kind of debate that nobody wins. the kind where the participants agree to
disagree. These postings take a toll on a list such as this. (and now i'm
guilty of it too) But my point is that this list generates a huge amount of
mail (and noise) I would prefer the former over the latter.

> So when you try and run off those who know a fair amount but don't meet
> your manners requirement, I want you to think about why you feel newbie
> or lazy users should be of higher value than those with the knowlege?
> Why do you wish to preserve their participation at the detriment to
> those who have more answers than questions?

I think that everyone who has participated in or used Asterisk can help
someone else or learn from someone else. It doesn't make the helper smarter
than the one asking the question. It allows someone who has been down a
particular path to help guide someone down that same path. It's really all
about community.

> Hoping that the person I talked to this weekend is actually reading. I
> don't consider myself any more important than anyone else in this list,
> but rather I like others, wish to defend this channel of information
> from descending below useful signal to noise ratio.

Again I agree. We are a community and a community is made up of differing
views, opinions, and beliefs. It's through a common interest we are all
together and therefore we must insure that the very things that bring us
together, that is the quest for knowledge about Asterisk and helping others
with our experiences with Asterisk are preserved.

> > We all understand that it is generally best to avoid feeding the trolls,
> > but every now and then the townsfolk must grab shovels and pitchforks,
> > and drive these beasts back into the caves from whence they came; where,
> > one hopes, they will contemplate the value of a few simple manners, and
> > perhaps even one day to attempt to give to the community without the
> > needless rancour.

I wish to apologize to Kevin Walsh. While I did not write the above, or
agree with Kevin, It was my sentiment.
at the time. Kevin I know you are an interested member of this community and
you have contributed your knowledge in a
meaningful way in the past. I hope you can forgive my rudeness.

Best Regards,

Mike Boger Jr.