[Asterisk-Users] Geotel integration with Asterisk

David Boyd dboyd at fullmoonsoft.com
Sun Oct 24 18:03:24 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 17:52, dean collins wrote:
> >From what I read about a year ago was that it was a carrier hosted
> solution that actually controlled the ss7 switching at the exchange
> (basically no call costs from tromboning, and was only implemented into
> an ip-centrex or hosted call centre application.
>
> Are you saying that enterprises can buy something similar and control
> the carriers switching?
>

> Cheers,
> Dean

SNIP...............

The GEOtel solution uses a type of interface that was originally
designed for  tie-in to the MCI network. The MCI network uses something
call a DAP(data access point) the DAP performs a database lookup anytime
that an 800,888,866,877 or virtual network number is dialed on their
network. This lookup is done via SS7 and returns the appropriate routing
information ie.. Switch and trunk group with appropriate DNIS to the
originating switch which then routes the call to the proper termination
location.  The GEOtel solution actually works like a wedge into the call
routing info. By using an adjunct processor that is in contact with the
customers network switches/ACDs the DAP actually queries the adjunct
processor for the proper routing data, and returns the appropriate info
for call termination.  The return data is based on whatever rules that
the adjunct uses for the call lookup.  The original trial for this
service was used by MCI corporate for their own Customer service network
Galaxy class ACD's made by Rockwell.  The adjunct would poll the ACD's
and determine queuing times as well as time of day number of operators
etc, and return proper routing information.  This was called Intelligent
Routing Service (IRS) but the marketing group decided that Intelligent
Call Routing was a better name.

Hope this was informative in some way :)

Dave