[Asterisk-Users] Re: Direct SIP connection to Vonage service

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Sun Oct 24 06:27:53 MST 2004

Hi Benjamin,

>> I looked at NuFone.net and some others, but it appears that
>> IAX is not right for my system.

> I'd say this is only because you don't know enough about IAX yet ;-)

> [Many comments explaining how IAX would work wonderfully if all my
>  VoIP hardware were replaced with IAX-compatible equipment]

No, I don't want to replace existing gear.  It would be expensive,
disrupt operations, take lots of time to set up, and I don't want
the administrative hassle of running multiple Asterisk systems
for such a small network.

There are other reasons, too.  For example, the Cisco 827-4V is very
reliable, because it has no hard drive and no fans.  If *your*
Asterisk system fails, you can zip over to Akihabara and get what
you need, even on Sunday.  Rue Montgallet is not the same!

IAX is probably the ideal protocol for an interoffice trunk carrying
many calls at once, but for me, it seems better to gradually migrate
to a SIP-based system, with a single Asterisk server in Reno, and
retaining present hardware.

If NuFone service is reliable, good quality, competitively priced,
and they also support the open source community, they'll get my
business.  But I'll connect via SIP, so existing equipment can be
better utilized.

When I'm in a hotel, stuck behind a NAT over which I have no control,
sure, I'll use IAX to connect to the server (and tolerate the media
proxy delays in that case.)

Have I missed something?

Regards,

Stewart