[Asterisk-Users] Direct SIP connection to Vonage service

Brian lists001 at brianchristie.com
Sat Oct 23 02:45:28 MST 2004

On Friday, October 22, 2004 2:40 PM
Stewart Nelson wrote:
> I presently have a small VoIP network using H.323 and gnugk,
> and would like to upgrade it to an Asterisk-based system,
>
> primarily to take advantage of low cost unlimited calling
> plans offered by SIP providers such as Vonage.

FYI these so called "unlimited" monthly plans are RARELY, if _EVER_ truly
unlimited. They CAN (read the TOS), and WILL terminate you if you use too
many minutes more then whatever average they calculated for when pricing the
plan.

I personally know several people who were using the Vonage "unlimited"
calling plan and were terminated for _"EXCESSIVE USAGE"_

>However, the carriers with good reputations for reliability and quality
> seem to require that you connect via a "locked" ATA device.
<SNIP>

As some other people have suggested, your best bet is to just use a VoIP
provider who natively supports the InterAsteriskExchange protocol.

Two that I know of are NuFone.net and tollfreeexpress.com . Try Google and
the voip-info.org wiki for others.