[Asterisk-Users] Re: Sipura 3000 FXO

Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy dwelch at phoneboy.com
Sat Oct 23 01:33:14 MST 2004

Randy Bush wrote:

> i come from an automated ip backbone world where we generated
> configs automatically from sql data tied to the back office and
> sales systems.  i want to have a shipping person take a new spa3k
> out of the box, plug it into an ether, hit the 'Confirm' button on
> the customer order fulfillment screen, wait 30 seconds, and then
> stick the puppy in the outbound shipping box.

There's no reason a SPA configuration couldn't be auto-generated from a
SQL database. There's the issue of interfacing that with the SPA
Compiler to compile a configuration file and put it somewhere (e.g. a
web server), but that should be easy to do.

It's fairly trivial to set up a box as a DHCP server and tftp server
with a spaXXXX.cfg (where XXXX is 2000, 3000, etc). The DHCP server sets
the tftp-server option. This config simply sets a provisioning rule that
says "go get your next config from https://some/website/$MA.cfg" (where
the device substitutes $MA for its MAC address). This URL would be the
location where your auto-generated device configuration would reside.
Optionally, you can also have it load new firmware. The spaXXXX.cfg file
sits in the root of the tftp server.

Basically, all you have to do is unbox a new SPA, plug the box in, wait
several seconds, wait for the status lights to stop blinking, and the
box is ready to ship. I did something similar with about 40 SPA-2000s
and the entire process was painless and quick. It doesn't even need to
have the "real" configuration from the SQL database yet, it can pick
that up when it gets plugged in next time.

-- PhoneBoy