[Asterisk-Users] One E1: 10 time-slots for voice (ZAP), 10 for Internet PPP (data) and 10 slots for Internet PPP (VoIP)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Oct 22 11:07:02 MST 2004

Maxim Litnitsky wrote:
> Hi all,  my provider offers me Internet and CO lines within one E1
> channel. Can I split time slots so that 10 can be used as ZAP channels
> for inbound/outbound calls,  10 for internet office needs (can it be
> 10 multilink PPP???), 10 time slots for different internet channels
> for VoIP. Gurus please advise!!! :))

The Zaptel drivers allow you to assign channels to an HDLC device, so
you could use that as an Internet link to your ISP. They do not support
PPP in any form.

This is typically used to provide a routed connection to your ISP (same
function a Cisco or similar router would perform), so you could easily
assign 20 channels to an IP link. If you want the VOIP and general
office traffic segregated, you'd use some sort of Quality of Service
(QoS) mechanism for that, not set up separate links.