[Asterisk-Users] New. Testing?

Timothy Costello tim at cteusa.com
Fri Oct 22 10:09:50 MST 2004

On Oct 22, 2004, at 9:15 AM, sjudkins at christyind.com wrote:
> Hello all. I am new to the list and after doing some research on
> "Asterisk" this
> week I would like to get started testing.
<stuff deleted...>

> I currently have an unused ISDN (BRI) line that I was thinking about
> cancelling until I
> learned of Asterisk. I thought about buying one of the BRI PCI cards
> (listed on
> the Digium website) to use in a test server. Although, I see that they
> can be rather
> expensive for something that I most likely will have to just "throw
> away" when we
> move (I assume we will have a T1 or fractional T1 in the new
> building.). My question
> is, "What would you guys recommend I use to get started
> testing/looking at this
> software?" I only see these two ("affordable") options for testing:
>
> Buy an ISDN BRI interface board, use it and test it then "throw it
> away".
>      (This option wouldl give me two lines to test with, which would
> be nice.)
> Buy an analog board and use a dedicated line.
>   (I think we only have one incoming line that I could use for
> testing. OR, could I
>    use the two POTS ports from our ISDN router and in effect just use
> the two
>    ISDN data lines as POTS lines?

In the long run I think the ISDN BRI interface board will teach you
more as you will have access to full and reliable call progress and get
a much better idea of how fast connections are established etc.  I used
the TDM400P and the X100P for my "Proof of Concept" testing and then
switched to a ISDN PRI via T100P for deployment and it took a while to
get used to and adapt to.

On an analog interface dialing out onto the PSTN asterisk assumes the
call is answered (unless call progress is turned on but that is still
not 100% reliable). Whereas on an ISDN connection it knows what the
state of the line is (i.e. Ringing / Answered / Busy etc).

Also on analog incoming call you don't get DNIS so they get dumped into
the s extension in the context you define. On ISDN you will get the
DNIS and have to parse it in the dialplan.

All of this is valuable experience for when you get the T1-PRI for the
new location. It will speed up you deployment a lot!

Later;
Tim