[Asterisk-Users] Re: Grandstream Flashing (different issue)

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Oct 22 08:55:53 MST 2004

Todd Routhier - Lightwave Technologies, LLC. wrote:
> OK, this is a different flashing issue than the one that's being talked
> about.
>
> I have a few of these phones (GrandStream 101) and when a voicemail is
> received the light on the LED starts blinking and the dial tine stutters,
> this is cool. BUT..... How the **** do I get it to stop, I have had mine
> covered with paper for the last 2 days because the blinking LED panel is
> driving me nuts. I have received the messages in my email and looked at them
> on the web.
>
> I am thinking that I have to check them by calling into the Asterisk system
> and mark them as read or something in order for this to quite.
>
> Two problems, I don't know how to check them by phone just yet and I will
> likely never check them by phone.

You absolutely must get the message file deleted from the mail store. It
doesn't matter how you delete the message either. You can use the *
phone interface or simply delete the files associated with the message.
As soon as the files are gone from the INBOX, * sends a SIP command to
the phone to turn off the MWI. As long as there are any active messages
in the INBOX, the light stays on.

If you would like to be a guinea pig for my VB program that allows you
to manage your mail folders and messages from a Windows GUI, I'll send
you a copy. The only caveat is that I haven't yet found a way to get
perfect synchronization with file access to the mail store. The user
needs to be careful not to modify the INBOX while * is taking a new
message. For me this is usually not a problem, since I would never be
not answering the phone when I am listening to/moving/deleting messages
- as a result, * would never be writing a new message when I was using
the VB program.

The program requires the VB6 runtime (available from MS for free) and
that you have SAMBA running on the * server.

Sincerely,

Stephen R. Besch