[Asterisk-Users] Question about ISDN reason codes

Neill Wilkinson neill.wilkinson at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 22 04:01:20 MST 2004

All,

newbie to Asterisk and just trying to get a load of bits together
including PSTN interface using Digium Quad E1 interfaces using EuroISDN.

Question can I/how do I get access to the ISDN reason codes for call
disconnect? The purpose is to be able to make routing choices based on
the reason code returned from a PRI connected interface/channel. For
example if the reason code indicates say "network congestion" or "no
route" then I want to be able to try an alternative route by
manipulating the digit string and retrying on another interface, for
example to a SIP ITSP.

Here's the scenario - call originates on IP cloud from an IP
Phone/IAD/ATA connected via a proxy server (SER), destination PSTN via
Asterisk, First choice route is out of an ISDN PRI port on the Digium
board, if this route is either congested - no channels left to dial out
on or the far end network has a problem such as can't route to that
destination, Then take a second, third etc choice of route to that
destination say via a SIP connection to another ITSP, or another PRI
Interface connected to another PSTN provider.

Any suggestions, thoughts, configuration examples and general advice
welcome!