[Asterisk-Users] Newbie General questions

Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) philippe.dhont at searo.be
Fri Oct 22 01:46:22 MST 2004

Hello,

I am new to this and i am planning to setup a linux phone-server but i
have a few questions.
Sorry if they sound very newbie but i have to start somewhere, right ?
:)

1) if i setup asterisk, do i need additional hardware if other computers
via internet want to talk to me ?

2) How do you call somewhone else ? If someone is at the other side of
the world and he has a softphone on his computer installed, does he just
has to enter the number (IP) of my server ?

3) What softphones are good ?
Any links to opensource/free softphones for linux and windows ?

4) is someone calls me from somewhere, let's say a hotel and he is after
a firewall and got on the net via a router so he is in a private ip
domain, will the communcation work or is it a client-client communcation
one the connection is made ?

5) If my phone server has an ip address that changes every day, is there
a solution for this ?
Can i install such a free ip-domain-linker and let my softphone connect
to that name instead of directly the ip address ?

Thnx!
Phil.

Disclaimer :

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned as recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately.
This e-mail does not constitute any commitment for Sea-Ro Terminal N.V. or its subsidiaries except when expressly otherwise
agreed in a written agreement between the intended recipient and the originating subsidiaries of Sea-Ro Terminal  N.V.
Sea-Ro Terminal and each of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

This mail has been checked for viruses by Symantec and Trend Micro.