[Asterisk-Users] Fax detection in voip channel

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Oct 21 15:19:49 MST 2004

On 2004.10.21 14:49 usedcanon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to detect an incomming fax just as it is possible with
> Answer
> on a Zap channel. If not do others find the possibility of this
> enhancement
> useful too?

Doing fax over SIP or IAX would be a frustrating effort, and a complete
waste of time, IMO.  See:

     http://www.opencall.org/faq/x47.html

If you don't believe me, go ahead and actually *try* to send/receive a
fax through a WAN/internet VoIP connection.  You'll probably get
tolerable results with SIP-fax on a LAN, but run it through a VoIP
provider over the internet, and you'll have a mess, even if the codec
is ULAW/ALAW

What you really want is a T.38 channel driver.

Lee.