[Asterisk-Users] cheap gig switch? smc, netgear, or 3com?

Jay Wilton asteriskcr at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 16:17:09 MST 2004

--- Kristian Kielhofner <kris at krisk.org> wrote:

> Scott Laird wrote:

> the MAC level?

> >> The reason I asked is because 802.1q isn't mentioned
> in the product
> >> literature.
> >

> > .1q is VLAN trunking.  If you want to support multiple
> VLANs and have
> > them shared on multiple switches, then you want .1q.
> It doesn't really
> > have a whole lot to do with QoS.
> >

> > Scott
>
> Scott,
>
> 	Some switches allow you to give higher priority to
> certain VLANs.  If
> you divide your voice and data networks like this, it
> certainly would help.
>
> --
> Kristian Kielhofner

What is the most important feature for VoIP quality:
latency, qos, vlan?  I'm leaning towards least latency with
qos and/or vlans at the linux router.  Might be my best
shot for an inexpensive gig switch ($100).

I have only seen the qos (802.1p) in the Netgear gs608, but
reviews of Netgear are terrifying (too light, breaks, hot,
no support, warranty is a problem after 90 days).

Jay