[Asterisk-Users] Running as non-root user ( was: Vmail.cgiBahhh!!)

Paul Dugas Paul at DugasEnterprises.com
Wed Oct 20 10:49:27 MST 2004

Kristian Kielhofner said:
> This is well documented in the wiki and elsewhere.

Yes, I know.  I even quoted it in my note ;)  What I'm suggesting is that
it should do so by default, not with some additional changes to the
standard installation.

Please don't flame me for this but there are far too many sysadmins out
there that do exactly what the installation notes of a package tell them
to do without even the first look into the potential issues.  How many of
us look at the spec files of the RPMs (or the equivalent for your distro)
we install?

All I'm suggesting is that some responsibility lies upon software
developers and packagers to follow common and well established guidelines
for limiting potential impacts of the products they create.  In this case,
I would prefer if it the stock installation instructions (and RPM spec
files) would create the asterisk user/group and install the files/devices
using them.

Just my $0.02.

Paul

PS: I realize there are "functional" issues that still need to be
addressed in the software and that these "packaging" issue are lower on
the priority list.

--
Paul A. Dugas                               Dugas Enterprises, LLC
email: paul at dugasenterprises.com            1711 Indian Ridge Drive