[Asterisk-Users] X100P red alert

Wed Oct 20 00:28:23 MST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:34:45 +0200, Alex van Es <alex at icepick.com> wrote:
> I was just trying to find out if the fact that the driver doesn't load
> is because it's not plugged into the phoneline, thats all.

Sorry but I just couldn't resist ;-)

The driver should have loaded because it is the driver that detects
the missing phone line and generates the RED ALARM in the first place.
If it doesn't load, you should be able to see the deivce and there
can't be any alarms on a device that doesn't exist.

on the command line do ...

ls /proc/zaptel

if you don't have any directories 1, 2, 3 etc in there, then the
driver didn't load. If the driver loaded, there should be a numbered
directory for each FXO card or FXO/FXS module.

if you then do ...

ls /proc/zaptel/1

it should should show you the details of the card/module that is
associated with Zap1.

If it says RED ALARM, it means the card/module cannnot see any phone
line. Consequently, if you try to make a phone call on that
card/module, Asterisk will not be able to dial out because there is no
phone line to dial out on. As a result it will give you the error
message you see.

If you don't have an analog phone line to test where the box is
located, you could connect it with an ordinary phone wire to an FXS
port on some ATA, ie a Grandstream HT286, Sipura-1/2/3K, or IAXy to
mimic the phone line.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.