[Asterisk-Users] test-driving G.729?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Oct 19 17:33:48 MST 2004

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:

>/SNIP/
>

>>Have you looked into that open-source implementation of G729? There
>>

>was something on the WIKI about 3 >different implementations of it. One
>being where you paid license per channel fees, one that was
>

>>free/open source, and another I can't remember. Check the WIKI.
>>

>/SNIP/
>
>There is no such thing as Open Source G729. Any such implementation is
>called a "Hack", if that is what one would like to call it. There are
>sevral such hacks available but none of them really work. I tried them.
>The Audio quality is miserable with such implementations.

The audio quality should be identical. The reference code that is
available from the ITU is the basis for every G.729 implementation I
have seen. The Intel IPP enhanced version someone made available
recently is still based on the ITU code. The licenced version from
Digium is too. If one version sounds worse than another the implementor
must have done something wrong. The core G.729 code should always sound
the same.

Regards,
Steve