[Asterisk-Users] i extension

Tue Oct 19 15:35:12 MST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:58:00 -0400, Steve Kann <stevek at stevek.com> wrote:
> This explicitly repeats the invalid number back to them; you could
> prefix it with a message saying "the number you dialed" and postfix with
> "is invalid, blah blah"..
>
> exten => i,1,SayDigits(${INVALID_EXTEN})
> exten => i,2,Goto(s,1)

It would seem that the i extension is never called unless you have
something like Background(dial-a-number) in the context.

But I am not talking about an IVR menu. I am talking about ordinary
users connected to the PBX with their SIP phones over the LAN and they
pick up the handset and dial some number.

What I would like to do is give them a recording that says they have
dialled an invalid number if they dial something that is doesn't match
anything in the dialplan/context.

In this situation, the i extension is not called. Instead you see a
"extension not in context 'blah'" message on the console and the user
gets a fast busy signal.

any ideas how else to achieve this?

rgds
benjk