[Asterisk-Users] disabling "comfort noise", other odd thoughts

Mike Taht mtaht at 5bridge.com
Tue Oct 19 12:39:38 MST 2004

Lately I've been working in relative isolation (e.g. at home) and I find
I like the idea of sharing a virtual audio room with my fellow
programmers. (We all share thoughts currently via irc).

So I'm listening in a asterisk conference room right now (using SJphone,
everyone mic muted), and also listening to Bach, both on my headphones.
During especially quiet passages I can hear the slight crackle of static
(generated by SJphone?), similarly while talking with someone...

I imagine that most people like "comfort noise" - but we've been trained
to like it by the existing phone system! me, I'd prefer something visual
as comfirmation that the other party was still there - and even without
that visual comfirmation I'd prefer blissful silence in my background
world.

Is there any way to turn off "comfort noise?". Does asterisk itself ever
generate comfort noise? (I had no idea until I started writing this that
it was actually an rfc (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3389.html) - and
with a sufficiently smart packet filter I could block it if I wanted to,
at least across the network )

Side question: Is there a (soft or hard) solution to allowing the
silence suppression part of the sip spec to work in asterisk?

--
Mike Taht
PostCards from the Bleeding Edge http://the-edge.blogspot.com