[Asterisk-Users] test-driving G.729?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Oct 19 08:00:24 MST 2004

Deon Rodden wrote:

>I personally think for a codec that's almost 1/3 the size of ULaw, the
>quality is great. I consider ULaw above telephone quality, and g729 to be at
>telephone quality.

uLaw *is* telephone quality. Its what the PSTN uses. G.729 is much
inferior, but at 1/8th the size (not 1/3rd unless you count all the RTP
overhead). Its a trade-off. If you can't hear the difference, see a
nurse and get the wax out of your ears :-)

G.729 is OK in a quite room. If there is a lot of background noise it is
awful. Might that explain the difference in perception?

Regards,
Steve