[Asterisk-Users] SMTP MTA suggestions.

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Oct 19 04:16:33 MST 2004

On October 19, 2004 05:48 am, james wrote:
> There are several replacements, but sendmail isn't any harder to config.
> You usually only need to change 3 lines in the sendmail config.

I suppose the reasons people are so anti-sendmail are several:

1. Security.  Sendmail has a track record of being Unix's most insecure MTA.
2. Confusion.  Sendmail's configuration is truly unweildy and unnecessarily
complex.  c.f. postfix for a configuration interface that doesn't suck.
3. Size.  Why use a cannon swat a fly?  Sendmail will do everything and then
some, but this is unnecessary complexity and bloat for something as simple as
a forwarding-only mail server, which is generally all people want if they
already have a world-class SMTP server doing spam/virus checking and so
forth.

Sendmail is dead.  Long live the alternatives.

-A.